Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I'm Baaaaaaaaaack!

Why did I drop off the blogosphere for last nine months?

No, I did not have a baby (unlike my friend over at Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares who also took a hiatus).  The idea of me procreating could be it's own horror novel.

No, it's not because I ran out of material. Trust me, being a 40-something, techno-challenged, even more man-challenged, teacher of high school English provides enough for this writer.  I didn't take a hiatus from writing (my seventeen-page essay on Ratchet is currently submitted to several literary journals); just from blogging.

To be honest, I don't have a good reason. Nothing concrete. No family illness, no change of career, no loss of career that left me homeless: no special marker that called for an end to my blogging career. I just lost the motivation. The passion was gone.  For a while, I thought my three-and-a-half-year relationship with Blogspot had run its course.  I didn't want to leave it for Word Press or Tumblr. I didn't give it an ultimatum like, "get me published or get out."  Quite simply, I just lost that loving feeling.


Ya, I'm coming back with cliches after nine months, dammit.

So, why am I back?

The catalyst was about a week ago when I was discussing with the department chair at the junior college I teach at about the possibility of apply for a full-time position. I wanted to make sure all that I would be giving up by leaving my nearly twenty-year career with my high school (primarily in the form of seniority and job security) would be worth it. Getting a full time job at the junior college level is nearly impossible. One would have to sleep with as well as kill several people to just get an interview: it is extremely competitive. As my department chair and I discussed what would help me pop as a candidate, one item that came up was to "make sure that [I] mention the blog."

It's ironic: my high school administration quivers in fear over my blog; my college one encourages it. I say absolutely nothing about it to my high school students. Nothing. Hell, I pretend to not even know what a blog is (and they believe me because as far as they are concerned I wrote my high school essays on parchment). I know it's been found; much to my surprise, some students have nothing better to do than google their teachers. As for my college students, I provide them with a link on the second day of class. Most of my posts analyze language; it will enhance their education, dammit. I also send links to my colleagues at the junior college.

Another little nudge came from a colleague at the junior college as well. While chatting with a lovely woman in the lounge a few days ago, we both realized that even though we knew each other's faces we weren't quite sure of each other's names. When I formally introduced myself, she replied with: "Your Holly Vance?! I am such a fan."

Even though it was a nice little spit-shine to my ego, I was a bit confused. When she didn't immediately mention that it was because of my blog, I began to panic. I never have, nor ever will, google myself, so who knows what's out there about me. What was she a fan of?

As it turns out, she knew about me through my high school teaching history. (And if you are waiting for the details, I ain't gonna provide 'em.  No need to give my high school an aneurysm before the new year even starts.) It had nothing to do with my blog, but it made me think about it.

All that matters is that I'm back. I feel the old spark of love for Blogspot. Hopefully, it will take me back with open arms. And roses. And chocolates from Godiva. And a flood of agents dying to market me to major publishing houses.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Sometimes a break is all we need to renew our love for blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lose the passion it is good to take a break. Glad you found yours again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back and you have inspired me to get back to mine. I would miss you at HS but hope you get the adventure you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes no reason is all the reason that's necessary. Bloggers are often so misunderstood by the non-blogging community. You'd think we were part of some secret weirdo organization. Actually maybe we are.

    Welcome back!

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't forgotten you, and with a name like Holly Vance, you definitely should be published...it's got that"Danielle Steele" kind of ring to it.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate my existence.