Monday, September 24, 2012

Why I Am the Worst Blogger in the History of the Universe

Well, aside from my hyperbolic titles, there are various other reasons.

One reason is because I don't update very frequently, which is key to keeping hold of a blog audience. Another reason is because that my posts are usually quite lengthy, which is not what the blogging genre seems to call for.

The reason I don't update frequently is because blogging in hard. Well, it is for me. Why? Because I am a perfectionist. I often don't trust my natural voice, you know, that one that dominates the first draft? The one that is goofy and goes on tangents? The one we writers really like writing in, but don't quite feel comfortable enough to put out for the public eye?

The one that doesn't give a shit if she just ended a sentence with a preposition.

So for every blog post, I draft, revise, revise, revise. And because I am always trying to keep my organic voice under control, even the drafting part is difficult. In fact, first drafts are my biggest challenge. Most of the time, blogging isn't fun and easy--it's a pain in the ass.

But, I always look back at my posts and think: Damn, that's good.

The other problem--the length issue--is an all-around writing problem for me. It takes me 250 words just to clear my goddamn throat. I am an over-explainer, which I justify as being "thorough" when really it's because I think everyone's an idiot.

So I am going to try something new: I am going to just bang out posts in my first draft, not worries voice that I seldom, if never, let out. No revisions. No focus on focus. Hell, I may even not worry about typos and spelling.

Well, maybe I will watch that.

And, I'm going to try to get to the point sooner.

Hmmmm, didn't do so well on that second goal.

2 comments:

  1. One thing I used to do was slam out any old thing for three minutes (use an egg timer) and refuse to let myself edit it. I never showed them to anyone (though sometimes there were suitable ideas for short stories) but it got my brain going - kind of like a warm up before you do sport. Worth a try?

    PS - if it's regular audience you want, you might consider taking the irritating anti-spam thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious. I do the same thing. Edit edit edit all the way! It is sometimes painful but now I'm okay.
    I am trying not to do too much now a days.
    Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please validate my existence.